My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Sunday, February 09, 2014

Avocado Dream Smoothie

I have never been a breakfast eater simply because my stomach does not tolerate anything well until I've been awake for a hour or so.  My normal breakfast time is about 11 AM regardless of how early I get up.  One recommendation for improving weight loss is to not eat anything for 12 hours before exercising which forces your body to burn fat rather than sugar.  That method suits me just fine.  I can eat up to about 9 PM then start my exercise the following morning at 9 AM.  I'm usually up before 7 AM and have a cup of black coffee about a half hour before exercising, something I did not think my stomach would tolerate but so far it is.  My current exercise routine is 90 to 120 minutes depending on what sessions I'm working on.  That means by the time I eat, I really need the protein!

avocado dream smoothie
I have been experimenting with smoothies to be used primarily as a source of protein for after my work-outs.  Yesterday, I shared my Berrilicious Protein Smoothie recipe.  That recipe used Life Clearly Fibre to add fibre to the smoothie but there are other ways to add fibre.  Avocados are high in protein, fibre and healthy fat.  Their rich, creamy almost buttery flavour make avocados perfect for smoothies.

The avocado dream smoothie  has a delightful delicious smooth, creamy flavour.  You would not know the spinach is an ingredient other than the green flecks.  A 6 oz serving has 8 g of protein and 3 g of fibre yet only 121 cal making this an ideal post exercise beverage.  I used weight measurements for accurate caloric tracking and replication.  If you are not tracking calories, you can use the amounts in brackets to make this delicious smoothie.

Avocado Dream Smoothie
recipe by:  Garden Gnome

500 ml almond milk
34 g baby spinach (small handful)
83 g strawberries (3 extra large)
112 g avocado (1 medium)
39 g Body Fortress 100% Whey Protein Powder, Vanilla Creme

Place ingredients in blender.  Blend until smooth.  Serve

Makes 4 - 170.4 ml (6 oz) servings

Nutritional value per serving:  121 calories, 10 g carbohydrates, 6 g fat, 8 g protein, 109 mg sodium, 3 g fibre


0 food lovers commented: