My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Hubby's Meatloaf

My husband is a large man at 6'7" and about 280 lb but he has a rather good medical history of being quite healthy.  When he gets sick which is rather rare, he gets sick!  On August 28 he came home in a lot of abdominal pain but it subsided.  The following day, he came home again in worse pain so to make a long story short he was admitted to hospital where he stayed for five days.  He was pretty much out of it for two of those days then the third day they let him have liquids and the fourth they started him on solids.  The poor guy!  Seriously at lunch time on day 4 he was sitting cross legged, table ready for food as soon as he heard the lunch cart.  It was a rather funny moment and while I did take a pic I can't share it here. 

hubby's meatloaf
Hospital food always gets a bad rap but when I was going to university I ate at the hospital cafeteria all the time.  The food was healthy and tasty.  The food at this hospital is good for the patients but not so much so for the visitors.  Visitors get whatever they put in the vending machines which really is not good! 

Anyway, I called hubby first thing in the morning the day he was scheduled to make his escape (aka be discharged).  I asked him what he would like for dinner...meatloaf!  I pulled a couple of pounds of ground beef from the freezer to thaw then headed up to the hospital.  He wasn't discharged until mid-afternoon but we headed back home with him excited about meatloaf.  You know, sometimes these types of events is all it takes to ground you just a bit!

My meatloaves range from plain to stuffed.  The commonality is ground meat (beef, venison, pork, chicken), a binder (eggs), liquid (ketchup, mustard, Worchestershire sauce), extender (bread crumbs and seasonings.  I made a basic meatloaf, a little lighter on the seasonings then served with the classic steamed potatoes and home canned green beans.  He was tucked in on the couch when I brought his plate in and oh my gosh, talk about a happy beam from ear to ear!  Such a simple meal and yet it brought so much pleasure...


1 food lovers commented:

Mamame said...

You MUST try a very different meatloaf that has become the staple around here:

2 lbs. meat (I use the mix of beef, pork, veal)
1 chopped onion
1 cup applesauce
1 cup herb stuffing (I try to get crushed and not cubed)
1 egg
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/8 tsp. nutmeg

YUMMY!!