My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Olympian Breakfast

The 2012 Summer Olympics opened on Friday, July 27 in London, England.  As I write this post I am very proud to announce that Canada has won a total of four medals.  Way to go!  The Olympics are special so I have been making a few dishes to celebrate them.   Right now I am in full home canning mode which means little time for cooking but also means lots of great produce on hand.  I was slicing up red peppers the other day and came up with a breakfast idea supporting our Canadian athletes.

The Olympian Breakfast
Athletes really need a high protein diet to aid in good muscle development.  Since breakfast is the most important meal of the day, I came up with The Olympian Breakfast.  The red and white signify Canada and the rings a tribute to the Olympics.

This is a very easy breakfast to make.  I place two red pepper rings in a ceramic coated fry pan on medium heat.  Then I cracked an egg into each ring.  Once the egg white started to cook, I placed  a lid on the pan and let the eggs cook until just set.  I garnished with a little Spanish paprika for flavour.  This protein rich breakfast was served with side bacon, whole grain toast, homemade yogurt topped with crumbled General Mills Whole Grain Oatmeal Crisp Triple Berry Cereal and blueberries (not pictured), and extra pulp orange juice.

Aside of being a high protein breakfast, I tried to work in healthy fiber.  The cereal is one of three cereals in General Mills new Green Banner Campaign.  The other two cereals are our all time favourites, Cheerios and Honey Nut Cheerios.  These boxes now sport a green banner to let you know that oat fibre helps lower cholesterol.  It's all part of healthy eating.  Cheers to our Canadian athletes! 



0 food lovers commented: