My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Maple Herbed Roasted Chicken Breasts

My very first cookbook was Betty Crocker's Cookbook (circa 1969).  It remains my favourite recipe book for tried and true easy recipes for healthy meals.  In addition to my favourite cookbook, I have the newest Big Red Betty Crocker cookbook (2011),  Betty Crocker's New Cookbook (1996) and Betty Crocker Why It Works (2006).  Of interest is the 's is not always on the Betty Crocker cookbooks and it does not appear on the Betty Crocker products.  I am not sure why but at any rate I love the cookbooks.

maple herbed roasted chicken breasts
I've been working my way through the Betty Crocker Why It Works cookbook written by Kevin Ryan, PhD.  This is an amazing cookbook with lots of great recipes, each with an explanation as to why certain ingredients pair nicely or why the method works.  I decided to make the maple-thyme roasted chicken breasts on page 74.  However, my version took a different path.  I substituted herbes de provence for the thyme, omitted the vegetable oil, reduced the amount of butter used and changed the method entirely.

Pictured is my version of the dish using the great Canadian flavours of real maple syrup and old fashioned chili sauce paired with home canned green beans.  Home canned green beans is a Canadian favourite, right up there with dill pickles, strawberry jam, applesauce, peaches and old fashioned chili sauce from the canning pot.  The chicken was absolutely delighful!  It was nice an moist with a lot of flavour.  This is a definite keeper recipe.  The meat was lower in fat than the original recipe that when combined with the sides made for a delicious, healthy meal.

Maple Herbed Roasted Chicken Breasts
modified from: Kevin Ryan, PhD, Betty Crocker Why It Works, Maple-Thyme Roasted Chicken Breasts. Pp. 74.

4 large, bone in skin on chicken breasts
⅓ c pure maple syrup
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
½ tsp sea salt
2 tbsp cold butter
1 tbsp Herbes de Provence
¼ tsp ground pepper

Pre-heat oven to 425ºF.  Place the chicken in a baking pan, skin side up.  Mix the remaining ingredients together.  Pour over the chicken.  Place a ½ tbsp of cold butter on top of each chicken breast.  Roast chicken uncovered for 35 minutes, basting with the sauce using a pastry brush every 15 minutes.  Brush again just before serving.  Serve additional sauce in a dipping bowl if desired.



3 food lovers commented:

LindaG said...

Did you mean 1/2 tsp sea salt?

It looks wonderful, GG. Thanks for sharing with us. :-)

Garden Gnome said...

Thanks for catching my typo Linda :) I think I need a bit more coffee!

LindaG said...

Glad I could help. Thanks again. :)