My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Friday, December 30, 2011

Gluten Free Snowman Cake

Incorporating special diet dishes into your menu at the best of times but when only one person has special dietary needs it can be rather challenging when hosting a get-together.  I have a fair amount of experience dealing creating dishes for those who are lactose intolerant, diabetics, those with certain food alleries and those on sodium restricted diets but until this past year had no experience creating dishes for those who eat a gluten free diet.  One of our friends cannot have gluten so I have been looking for gluten free recipes.  Earlier this year I wrote about how happy I was to find Betty Crocker gluten free cake mix

Betty Crocker gluten free cake mix and snowman cake pan
During the holiday season and when hosting larger gatherings I like to rely on tried and true, easy recipes.  I was quite impressed with the gluten free cake mix so bought another box.  As much as I love cooking and baking, I have never mastered the finer art of decorating cakes.  I tend to use simple glazes, frostings, fruits or a dry topping.  Thankfully a few formed cake pans help to make it a bit easier.

Specialty cake pans (as pictured) are available in a wide range of sizes and themes.  They are available in the box stores at a very reasonable price but limited selection.  The best selection can be found in specialty kitchen or baking stores.  Some can be pricey but if you make a lot of cakes can be well worth the small investment.

decorated gluten free snowman cake
This is precisely why I don't make decorated frosted cakes!   I was not overly pleased with the decorating results but the cake was declared a success without so much as a crumb left.  The icing was a simple buttercream.  I used a cupcake stencil for the holly leaves and berries.  The eyes, nose and buttons are mint M&Ms.   The mouth is a thin slice of Australian candy similar to Twizzlers.

I had a lot of fun making the cake, happy knowing I would be able to offer a dessert he could have.  Next on my agenda is to find a few gluten free recipes to add to my tried and true entertaining recipes.  I best work on my cake decorating skills as well!


0 food lovers commented: