My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Christmas Nutbowl

My foster Mom came out from England, actually born on the boat during the journey.   Her parents settled in southern Ontario making a living as farmers.  With a large family to feed there were not a lot of treats.  She told us the story of how special she felt getting a Christmas orange.  When she married having nuts on the table at Christmas was a sign of prosperity.  As long as I can remember oranges and nuts graced the coffee tables during the holiday season.  I carried that tradition on to our home.

cheese tray and nut bowl
My nut bowl is not fancy and it varies from year to year.  It's only partially filled so I will end up having two nut bowls this year which is fine as we will be doing a bit of entertaining.  Along with the nut bowl, I have a few other goodies that always grace the table during the holiday season.  Kibbeh and crab dip is a must, bringing in traditions from my husband's family. We've added a few of our own traditions over the years.

I always have one or more cheese trays.  This year I received a very generous pre-Christmas gift of a fancy cheese tray.  I will be serving brie with a maple topping on this gorgeous tray for its maiden run.  Watch for pictures coming shortly.  Let the entertaining season begin!


1 food lovers commented:

LindaG said...

I occasionally have a nut bowl, too. I think my parents sometimes had some this time of year.
I prefer fresh nuts to the canned ones is why I do it.
I like the Brazil nuts, too, but they are so darn hard to crack!

Merry Christmas! :)