My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Faux Crab Dip

I am not a huge fan of anything imitation, faux or artificial especially when it comes to cooking.  We are in high gear preparing for our upcoming move so I'm using the pantry rule of using one thing from the pantry and one from the freezer for each meal while avoiding the sales.  This will reduce the food we will have to move but in reality we start moving in the midst of the tomato harvest so I will be canning, filling up a lot of the empty jars.  Anyway, my husband picked up two packages of imitation crab meat when it was on sale.  At a $1 a package it was worth the try so I made the first package into an imitation crab meat salad.  Yesterday I spotted the remaining package in the freezer so used half of it to make a creamy dip.

faux crab dip
I make a lot of dips for entertaining.  Much like my salad dressings they are created as I go with the ingredients written in my kitchen journal.  My base is always a combination of Miracle Whip or mayonnaise and sour cream or plain yogurt.  Those four ingredients give a nice base to build on.  From there I add vegetables, fruits, herbs, seasonings to create a unique dip for my guests.

I made a faux crab dip using half of a package of the imitation crab meat.   The flavour was quite delicious so I can't wait to make the dip using real crab meat.  It will change the flavour and texture slightly but will still be rich and creamy.

Faux Crab Dip

1/2 pk imitation crab meat
1/3 c sour cream
1/3 c cream cheese
1/3 c Miracle Whip
1 green onion
1 tbsp red onion
1 tbsp radish
2 tbsp chopped cucumber

Place sour cream, cream cheese and Miracle Whip in food processor.  Blend until smooth.  Add in crab meat and pulse twice.  Chop vegetables fine then add to mixture and pulse twice.  Spoon into serving dish.  Refrigerate 1 hour for flavours to meld.  Serve with corn scoops or crudites. 


1 food lovers commented:

LindaG said...

Awesome recipe. Thank you for this one! :)