My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Chives

Fresh herbs are a true culinary delight.  I grow over 40 varieties of herbs each year and quite frankly go into a panic at the though of have to re-establish my herb bed even though I have done four times now.  Each time the herb bed grows in size but I also grow herbs indoors as well.  I use herbs for both culinary and medicinal purposes.

chives
Chives is one of the first herbs to emerge in the spring.  This is a rather small clump of chives but left to its druthers will get quite large.  Chives next to members of the mint family is about one of the most invasive herbs in the garden.  It is self seeding as well as spreading.  The green onion-like foliage is an absolute delight as a garnish or for adding to soups, salads and stews.  It is available in a few varieties ranging from plain somewhat onion flavoured to garlic. 

Chives are one of my staple herbs!  I use them almost on a daily basis during the main growing season in the garden and weekly from cuttings on windowsill grown chives. They add a cheery freshness that can't be duplicated!

chives on potatoes
The recent warmer weather has the chives not only poking through the ground but ready for their first cutting.   I did up a rib roast on Sunday served with oven baked potatoes and the au jus.  The roast was delectable, the potatoes marvelous but the crowning glory was the fresh cut chives!

I like to cut the chives within a few minutes of serving time.  I cut them close to the ground in a straight cut.  Then I rinse well and pat dry.  I cut across the stocks at about a quarter inch intervals placing them in a mis en place bowl.  From there the chives are used as desired sprinkled over the desired dish.  When it comes to baked potatoes, chives are the perfect addition whether topped with sour cream or butter.


0 food lovers commented: