My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Quick Apple Dessert Pizza

If you have been following this blog you will already know I do a lot of canning and as such there are a fair number of canning recipes on this blog. What it not as apparent is how I use all my home canned products. One reason for this is a lot of them are used much the same as you would commercially canned foods. In essence home canned foods only differ from commercially canned in that they don't have a artificial colourants or flavourings, they don't have preservatives and since they are canned in jars there is a lot less chance of having BPA residues in the food. All metal cans used in North America have a plastic coating containing BPA that does leach into the food during the processing. Home canned foods are in glass jars with only the lid having this plastic coating but when properly canned food should not come into contact with the lid.

quick apple dessert pizzaApple Dessert Pizza

I can a few types of apple pie fillings each year. The method of canning does not change but the apple variety and seasonings used do. This puts a convenient, ready to use product in my pantry.

After Superbowl Sunday I was left with a couple of packages of Greek style (pocketless) pitas to use up. I use these to make thicker sandwich wraps in the summer. One of my kids gave me the idea of using them for quick pizzas that have become a huge hit at our larger get togethers. I usually make two types, one with sauce and cheese and the other with melted butter and garlic. I decided to do something a little different this time.

I used the pitas as the crust for dessert pizza. This is really easy to make. I used about a cup of home canned apple pie filling that had a touch of cinnamon and nutmeg to spread over the pittas then topped with a generous topping of mozzarella cheese. I baked at 180ºC/350ºF until the chesses was bubbly with just a hint of browning. It was a quick, easy dessert using something from the pantry as well as left-overs from the party.


2 food lovers commented:

CDC said...

Those sound sooo good right now! Great way to use leftovers and your canned goods!

Garden Gnome said...

I think what appeals about this quick dessert is the simplicity. It's just so easy to make!