My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

She Said (3) - Canadian Bacon and Pineapple Pizza

If you recall my husband and I are having a bit of a contest with each of us using a recipe from Better Homes and Gardens® New Grilling Book to create a meal. In total there will be 12 recipes, 6 of his choosing and 6 of mine. The contest ends August 31 so the first week of September I will post a poll where you can vote for the meal you liked best. The rules are all the ingredients must be used but the amounts can be altered.

classic pizzaHubby's Pizza

My husband does not like green peppers or pineapple on his pizza. There were two Boboli crusts so we made two pizzas each topped as desired. My husband's toppings included sauce, peameal bacon, shredded ham and grated cheeses. He decided he would bake his in the oven to serve as a bit of comparison for my pizza that would be baked on the grill.

Canadian bacon and pineapple pizzaCanadian Bacon and Pineapple Pizza

Pork and pork products such as shredded ham and peameal bacon just go nicely with pineapple so when I saw this recipe I knew it was one to try. The pizza was topped as per the recipe but I added thin tomato slices and thin red onion slices. It just was crying for a bit more with respect to the toppings.

Canadian Bacon and Pineapple Pizza
source: Meredith Corporation, Better Homes and Garden New Grilling Book, 2005. Pp. 243

1 8-ounce can pizza sauce
1 14-ounce Italian bread shell (Boboli)
1 small green sweet pepper, cut crosswise into thin rings
1½ c chopped fresh pineapple
1 c finely shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Spread the pizza sauce over the Boboli then top with toppings. Place the assembled pizza on a medium high grill. Grill 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and the bottom of the Boboli is crisp. The edges of the pizza should be golden brown. Remove from the grill and cut into wedges.

fresh off the grillFresh Off the Grill

This really is a very simple recipe that gave good results. The pizza had a lot of flavour! I definitely recommend using homemade peameal bacon. I can't say I'm all that impressed with using a pre-made Italian bread shell (Boboli). These toppings would be ideal on my favourite pizza dough recipe.  Using homemade pizza dough will still allow you to cook the pizza on the outdoor grill. The Boboli came with two packets of sauce so we used those but really homemade pizza sauce would have been a bit better,

On a whole it was a good pizza that with a bit of tweaking could be better. I really liked the overall flavours and tones. So I will be using this flavour combination again.


6 food lovers commented:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I don't think I could choose so I will have a slice of each.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Wow...great looking items. I will be following your blog to see how it all turns out.

I love grilling, good luck, sounds like a fun challenge

Dave

Natalie Que said...

Thanks for the comment about my tartes, I hope your husband does like them!

The pizza looks yum, we love pizza at this house. Maybe I'll make this for my husband!

Garden Gnome said...

Hi Bellini Valli - enjoy your pizza slices :)

Garden Gnome said...

Hi Dave,thanks for visiting! It is turning out to a lot of fun :)

Garden Gnome said...

You're quite welcome :) I'm sure he will love the tartes. They are gorgeous looking!