My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Friday, April 17, 2009

Grandma's Chicken Soup

Sometimes Grandma just steps in and says let's do this and that was the case while staying at the home of oldest grandbaby. The kids made homemade chicken wings with chicken wings purchased from Maple Lodge Farms that needed their tips cut off. Grandma (aka me) suggested that we keep the tips to make soup the next day. Now chicken tips have a lot of flavour but not much meat. Had I been home I would have tossed the tips into the freezer for stock making day.

chicken soupGrandma's Chicken Soup

One thing I do excel at is making stocks and that is likely because I've made stock so often it really is second nature. My basic method for making stock is in the archives here. A good stock is all that is needed to make an inexpensive yet mouthwatering soup!

Quite often when I set off to make a homemade soup I really don't have a firm idea in my mind as to what I want the soup to be. In this case I knew I wanted to use the wing tips for stock so the basic flavour was going to be chicken. I wanted to add pasta of some sort because grandbaby loves pasta but I didn't want it being a plain chicken noodle soup. So I went rummaging through the cupboards and freezer. The end result was a nice hardy, low cost soup that had a lot of flavour.

Method: Once the stock was made and strained, I added 2 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts and simmered until they were cooked. I removed the meat and cut into smaller pieces then returned to the pot. I stirred in medium-thin egg noodles and cooked to al dente before adding a couple of cup of frozen vegetable mix, fresh green onion slices and dried parsley.


0 food lovers commented: