My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Friday, April 24, 2009

Cooking on Griddle Revisited

I have been steadily going through the freezers cooking at least one thing from the freezer for each dinner in preparation for the arrival of our bulk beef purchase this coming weekend. The cow goes to the abattoir on Thursday so with any luck we will be able to pick it up Saturday morning. Now, the biggest problem me being away for 2 weeks I am really juggling to free up freezer space. I cooked up the last of the Cowboy steaks in the freezer. I previously posted on Cowboy Steaks (here and here).

griddle cowboy steaksCooking on Griddle

Cooking cowboy steaks on the griddle was nothing new. What I did for these steaks was a bit different. I decided to cook the entire meal on the griddle. In order to do this on the griddle the food was actually cooked almost in reverse order to what you would expect.

I prepared the vegetable side first that consisted of portabello mushrooms, zucchini and red onions on the griddle set to 180ºC (350ºF) and a little extra virgin olive oil (1). Once the vegetables started caramelize I added sliced baked potatoes and the steak (2). The steak was cooked to medium rare just when the vegetables were ready.

What really impresses me about using a griddle to cook a full meal is anyone can do it. It does not matter if you live in an apartment or it's the middle of winter you can have close to the taste of grilling without the smoke of an indoor grill. I have two indoor grills, one a stove cartridge and the other a tabletop model. Smoke is controlled on the stove by using the downdraft whereas smoke is controlled on the tabletop by adding water to the bottom reservoir. The griddle is different. You won't get anything more in the way of smoke than you would using large skillets. You have a bit more temperature control and less clean-up using the griddle.

Cowboy SteaksCowboy Steak Dinner

The griddle cooked meal came out perfectly! I really liked the way the potatoes crisped up just a bit. The vegetables were nicely caramelized and the steak wonderful. I added fresh sliced tomatoes that enhanced the flavour of the meal.

Cooking on an indoor griddle offers a few new possibilities. It will not replace an outdoor or indoor grill but it does do a nice job without much in the way of smoke. I think the best meats for this purpose are boneless, skinless chicken breast or lean boneless pork chops or lean boneless steak. I wouldn't suggest using any cuts of meat with bone in. I would recommend choosing vegetables like mushrooms, onions and zucchini instead of harder root vegetables unless they are pre-cooked and just need warming through with a little caramelization. Add a fresh vegetable side like a salad to round out the meal.

Enjoy!

Garden Gnome
©2006-2009


2 food lovers commented:

Christina said...

My little brother and I got our mom a counter-top griddle for Mother's Day a few years ago. At first we thought she could just use it for breakfast - pancakes and bacon, but it's proven to be reallyuseful for her!

bbqgurus said...

This looks amazing! I can't wait to try it!