My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Grilled Ham Steaks

We are awaiting our half pig. The meat itself is ready but the cured meat won't be ready until near the end of this week. Ham is a favourite meat here and a frugal meat choice so when I had the chance to pick up four ham steaks for $14 at Sam's Club I did. My intentions was to have enough for one steak each and one extra. It didn't quite work out that way but with ham it was still a win-win outcome!

On the Grill

One of the ham steaks was cut into cubes and canned giving two 500 ml jars of ready to use ham for the pantry. The remaining three steaks were grilled. The largest one was enough for three. One was cubed and frozen and the remaining steak was used for snacking and wraps. The end result was enough ham for 12 plus generous servings making this a rather frugal choice of meat.

Grilling ham steaks couldn't be easier. Heat the grill. Grill the steaks about 3 minutes per side. Sauce can be brushed on each side then lightly caramelized if desired. I didn't use any sauce for these steaks.

Plated

Meals need not be fancy or expensive to be good. All you need is good, old fashioned, down home cooking.The basics of this are meat, potato and vegetable. If you want to dress it up a bit, add a tossed salad and simple desert. So it was with this meal. I served the grilled ham steak with oven baked potatoes and mashed rutabagas along with a simple tossed salad. It was a simple meal but very good!


7 food lovers commented:

Darlene said...

I love ham....now I have to go out and get some to grill! YUM..YUM!

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of breaking tradition and going with a ham for Thanksgiving this year. Those ham steaks look delicious!

Pennsylvania Independent said...

I don't eat anything that comes from a pig, although they do look quite delicious.

tweezle said...

Oh GG! You dinner looks so yummy! I'll have to try grilling my ham steaks. We, too, get a pig every year. Ours hasn't gone to the butcher yet, so we still have some time to wait. Nothing is as good as a good smoked ham! Our butcher also makes a fine Cajun sausage. I'd love to know how he does it, because he charges a LOT for the spices. If I could just figure it out, I'd get plain sausage an make my own.

Casa De Galletti said...

I've got a ham roast in the freezer - it's NOT cured and it looks like a chuck roast - waiting for me to be inspired to cook it. I don't want to just do a pot roast with it but then again, it might be just the thing for it. What're your thoughts? It's 1.5 inches thick, about 3 or 4 lbs - it fits into a 6.5 x 10.5 baking pan.

Garden Gnome said...

Natalie, a roast that size would be nice done similar to the pork roasts I did for canning. Put it in a roasting pan then top with a little Montreal seasoning or seasoning of your choice. Slice an onion and put on top. Pour Diana sauce or your favourite bbq sauce over everything. Cover and let cook at 250 degrees F for about 5 hours. Check to see if the meat falls apart. If so it is ready. If eating as is, increase the heat to 350 degrees F for and cook without the lid for about 20 minutes. Or, leave as is and pull the meat with two forks mixing it into the sauce. Serve with rice or make pulled pork sandwiches. HTH

Casa De Galletti said...

Thanks, I think I'm going to do that after the US Thanksgiving. I've got another 1/2 case of tomatoes to can up from the market and I've got to freeze up about 20 lbs of squash before I can get my greens from the market to fit in the fridge. The roast can wait in the freezer - it's not going anywhere.