My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Garden Tomato Soup

I intended to make an entry about roasting beef on the grill but I have had a request for my tomato soup recipe so decided to do that entry first. Tomatoes will soon be upon us. I've been picking Tiny Tims, Grape and today picked my first Lemon Boy and Ultra Sweet. For this recipe, I recommend a meaty tomato and a food mill for a smoother soup.

Garden Tomato Soup

This recipe is from Bernardin's Tomatoes Canning & Speciality Recipes. It must be pressure canned. You may safely double the recipe but I would leave the amount of bay leaves the same. For those on sodium restricted diets the salt may be omitted. Instructions are paraphrased and my notes follow.



Garden Tomato Soup

16 c chopped tomatoes (about 8 lb)
3 1/2 c chopped onion
2 1/2 c chopped celery
2 c chopped red pepper
1 c carrots
7 bay leaves
1 tbsp whole cloves
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 c lightly packed brown sugar
2 tsp salt

Prepare jars and lids as per BBB instructions. Wash, blanch, core and chop tomatoes. Measure 16 cups. Combine tomatoes, onions, celery, pepper, carrot, bay leaves and garlic in large stainless steel saucepan. Simmer uncovered until soft. Press through a sieve or food mill. Return mixture to saucepan. Add sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes. Ladle soup into hot jars leaving 1 inch headspace. Use a nonmetallic utensil to remove air bubbles. Wipe rim and place snap lid on jar. Apply screw band and secure until finger tight. Process 20 minutes 10 lbs pressure or adjust pressure for your altitude.
Makes 4-500 ml jars

My notes: This is a nice fresh tasting soup! To re-heat, pour the contents into a saucepan. Add 1/2 tsp butter if desired and a little milk if you want a creamed soup. Otherwise just heat the soup and enjoy.


0 food lovers commented: